Welcome


Welcome to Art Histories, a new site designed to support anyone interested in thinking about art and its histories. Over the coming weeks and months I hope to establish a community of learners who will share their experiences of art on this site. At the moment, I don't really know what will happen but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the journey.

The idea for the site came from one of my students at Thomas Tallis School in Greenwich, London (UK) who was determined to study for an A level in The History of Art, despite the fact that the school did not offer the course in its normal Post 16 curriculum. I used to teach the subject and offered to help her prepare for the examinations. It then occurred to me that using a blog might be a really interesting way to promote this kind of independent learning. It would also offer me an opportunity to rope in several friends and fellow bloggers so that we might all learn together and share our thoughts.

Even if the whole experiment falls flat on its face, it will have been a useful way for me to assess the potential of this kind of learning conversation. My main criteria for success are:
  • a diverse community of contributors are engaged in creating posts for this site
  • posts elicit various comments
  • all authors have equal status and can post on any art related topic
  • the site provides a useful form of support for anyone wishing to study The History of Art at advanced level
If you stumble across this site and would like to be involved as an author, please contact me directly. Alternativey, we would appreciate any comments you might wish to make and hope to see you back here very soon!

2 comments:

Trish Dooley said...

I would love to be involved but I'm not sure I would be an 'author'! Can I just enjoy the learning experience? I've just had a wonderful experience in the Leopold Museum in Vienna. The Austrian work was beautiful, in particular the work of Albin Eiger-Lienz. It was stunning. I also loved one of the Richard Gerstl self portraits.

Jon said...

Glad to have you on board in any capacity. It's a while since I've been to Vienna but it's one of my favourite cities. Kokoschka, Schiele, Gerstl. They pack quite a punch. I don't know Lienz's work but a quick search shows him to be quite a different kind of expressionist. Looking forward to some interesting discussions in the near future.

Post a Comment